Saturday, October 12, 2013

Post Graduate School Re-Evaluation & Upcoming Performance

Hello All,

It's been quite sometime but I am OFFICIALLY back at it. People begin a career in Music because it is something which brings them joy and encouragement.  Many have been exposed to various art forms at a young age.  The same applies to me.  I grew up in front of PBS and my love for singing grew.  The first Opera I saw as a child was Porgy & Bess and it was at that moment I was determined to play both the roles of Serena and Bess one day.  Music and singing was my escape and the expression of my deepest emotions that I was unable to put into words.

Studying music in Undergrad is the opportunity to further develop your skills and gage the kind of singer you want to become.  Graduate school is the application of the previous skills and a time when as singers we are more aware of who we are as people.  As a young Graduate school student although I was very self aware I was also trying to grew into my womanhood.  The unexpected stress of Graduate school and your own personal growth can turn something you LOVE into a chore.  Music and singing have always bee my heart but after Graduate school I had to take a year break in order to "find my love" again.  I am officially back in the saddle and excited for the road ahead.  Nothing will stop me now.

The past year involved a lot of prayer and reflection.  It was the strength in my religion and the feeling that something was missing which bought me back to my heart: Singing.  I found a new teacher, Mark Oswald, whom I love and understand.  He encourages me and challenges me to rise to the occassion.  My first performance as I come back into the world my heart thirst for is with One World Symphony.  I will be singing the title role in Puccini's Suor Angelica.

Click the photo above or the link to www.OneWorldSymphony.org for more information.

Sixth Annual Halloween Program: 
Temptation
One World Symphony
Sung Jin Hong, Artistic Director and Conductor
Bettina May, Burlesque Artist
One World Symphony Vocal Artists
Camille Saint-Saëns: from Samson et Dalila
Paul Hindemith:
 from Marienleben* (1948)
Giacomo Puccini: from Suor Angelica (1918)
Kaija Saariaho: Douleur (Torment) (2002)
Franz Schubert: Gretchen am Spinnrade (from Goethe’s Faust)*
*Arrangement and orchestration by Sung Jin Hong
Two Performances:
Sunday, October 27, 2013
Monday, October 28, 2013
8:00 p.m.
Holy Apostles Church
296 Ninth Avenue at West 28th Street
Manhattan
$30 Students/Seniors with ID
$40 General
Throw away that raw vegan flaxseed cookie and indulge in something more… sensuous. Discordant musical passages explore the boundaries of tonality and represent the restless conscience while others caress the senses with their soft waves of melody. Camille Saint-Saëns’s Samson et Dalila envelops us in decadent sound as the temptress Dalila lures Samson away from his people. In Puccini’s Suor Angelica, the nun’s dulcet melodies embody her enchantment with worldly pleasures. Be transported by contemporary composer Saariaho, who stretches the limits of tradition with her eerie music that draws you in like a moth to the flame. Go ahead, have your cake and eat it too.
Concert length approximately 90 minutes without intermission. Program may be subject to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

(c) 2011 Aspiring Opera Singer Blog. All Rights Reserved.