Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Road Less Traveled: Liberal Arts College vs. Conservatory

 Spelman College - 69 x 48 Blanket/Throw VS.Music Conservatory


My journey began four years ago when I made the desicion to attend Spelman College.  I was determined to become a Spelman Woman but those around me who knew of my musical gifts thought otherwise.  Indeed the thought had crossed my mind to attend a Conservatory but I knew that I needed an educational experience that would prepare me for both the world of music and business.  All of my life I knew a Spelman Woman to unstoppable, the world is hers for the taking.  The names of prominent Black Woman that Spelman produced I was determined, better yet I knew, I was destined to be a Spelman Woman.  However, at times I do think what if I chose to go to a Conservatory.


The decision to attend an liberal arts institution or a conservatory has its pros and cons.


The pros of attending a liberal arts institution:

  • A nurturing learning environment,
  • Great individual attention,
  • Strong support systems,
  • "College life" (Greek, Sports, Dorm life),
  • A more rounded educational experience,
  • Less competition,
  • More time to improve technique
The cons of attending a liberal arts institution:


  • Less competition,
  • Bachelors of Arts Degree as compared to a Bachelors of Music Degree,
  • Less music courses than those in a conservatory,
  • Sheltered environment
The pros of attending a conservatory:


  • Name recognition,
  • Bachelors of Music as compared to a Bachelors of Arts,
  • Strict focus on music courses,
  • More performances opportunities,
  • More competitive environment
The cons of attending a conservatory:


  • Limited educational experiences,
  • More competitive environment,
  • Less interaction with applied instrument instructors

Although I feel as if I could have thrived in either environment I felt that it was necessary for me to obtain my undergraduate degree at a liberal arts institution.  As stated earlier, I wanted to have the opportunity to explore and gain knowledge in my other areas of interest.  A liberal arts college was also best for me because it allowed me to focus on me.  It gave me time to grown into the young woman that I am today.  A woman passionate about a career in opera.  The experience also aided in improving my technique by providing me with the resources, time, and individuals dedicated to developing me in to becoming the best musician I can be.

I am thankful for my time in a liberal arts program.  It has made me ready to jump into the world wind that is music.  I am more sure of myself than ever which is what you need to be in order to survive in the music in particularly the classical music industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

(c) 2011 Aspiring Opera Singer Blog. All Rights Reserved.