Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Daniel Washington Spelman College Recital 2007

On October 29, 2007, Daniel Washington, Bass-Baritone and Associate Dean of the University of Michigan School of Music, was presented at Spelman College as a Guest Artist. The following day he held a Maser Class and luncheon in which he gave advice to students in regards to the search for graduate school and programs to participate in for those interested in a career in music. 

I have always shared my dislike for singing German however Mr. Washington made it easy. Rather than paying attention to consonants, he elongated vowels to make the pieces legato and beautiful. After the Intermission he began to sing English African American Art Songs and Spirituals. His transitions to the new styles were fluid. While sing Crucifixion arranged by Moses Hogan his diction was very precise so that the listener heard each consonant and vowel in the piece. 

The following day, at the Master class a few students from both Spelman and Morehouse sang for Mr. Washington. I sang the selection “Is There Anybody Here” arranged by Roland Carter. Once I completed the selection Mr. Washington complemented on my diction and then proceeded to ask if I was scared of my voice. While singing, Mrs., Robinson shared with him that this is the year I am willing to finding my voice. As I think back it is not that I was afraid of my voice but that I am becoming more willing to using my voice than I had been in the past. The experience of Mr. Washington on campus left me with a lot to think about in terms of my own music and where I want to take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

(c) 2011 Aspiring Opera Singer Blog. All Rights Reserved.