Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Graduate School Audition Preparation


My first graduate school audition is this coming Saturday.  I am excited because it is at my first choice school.  I will be heading back home to New York City for graduate school.  In preparation for my auditions, I have been practicing constantly with my accompanist.  I love him to death.  I think he is the greatest and we work wonderfully together.

Friday of last week, I had declared that I would be going on vocal rest for the week.  The only times in which I would permit myself to sing would be in my voice lessons and in my accompaniment sessions.  However, God gave me a huge operatic voice.  I had shared with the Glee Club Director that I would be on vocal rest for my auditions.  When he needed to hear a part in rehearsal, I had to jump in and sing.  Hey, that's the life of an opera singer.

My accompanist and I practiced yesterday. He feels that I am more than ready.  I feel ready and I am very confident in the material in which I will be performing.  My audition selections are in the order I wish to perform:  Il est doux, il est bon (from Herodiade) by Massenet; Deh, pietoso oh Addolorata by Verdi; Meine Liebe Ist Grun by Brahms; and lastly He's Got the Whole World in His Hands arranged by Margaret Bond.

My audition is Saturday, mid-afternoon.  I have plenty of time to warm up and get the voice ready. I have to get the ready to go to sound as if I am performing a Verdi or Puccini opera, which is no problem because I love them both to death and they fit my voice perfectly.  A friend of mine is also auditioning at the school but his audition is late afternoon, early evening.

I will update you all once I have completed my audition.  Sight singing is involved.  I have become much better at sight singing through my involvement in various ensembles.

WISH ME LUCK!!!!!!

P.S.  When I arrive in New York on Friday, I am going dress shopping for my Senior Recital.  I'm so excited!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

(c) 2011 Aspiring Opera Singer Blog. All Rights Reserved.